Bouncer To Be Charged With 3rd Degree Murder After Deadly Punch Outside Tabu Lounge & Sports Bar – CBS Philly

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — Third-degree murder charges have been approved against a bouncer who punched a man outside a Center City bar, leading to the man’s death, authorities tell Eyewitness News. Eric Pope, 41, died from the injuries he sustained in the incident outside Tabu Lounge and Sports Bar this past Saturday.

CBS3 confirmed the bouncer involved in the investigation is Kenneth Frye. Philadelphia police have a warrant out for Fyre’s arrest.

READ MORE: Car Lands On Its Roof After Accident In West Philadelphia

Members of the community are planning a vigil Wednesday night at Kahn Park to remember Pope. His death has rattled communities here in Philly and in his home of Washington, D.C.

“Eric was a very, very kind person,” Devon Trotter, Pope’s friend, said. “Always in a good mood, always smiling, always there to make you feel good. Warm, gentle person.”

Video obtained by CBS3 shows the moments before Frye punched Pope in the head around 1 a.m. on Saturday, April 16. Pope was visiting Philly that weekend.

eric pope assault - Bouncer To Be Charged With 3rd Degree Murder After Punch To Man's Outside Tabu Nightclub Head Leads To His Death

Credit: CBS3

Sources close to the investigation say Pope was on 12th Street after being escorted out of the bar for being intoxicated around 1 a.m. Saturday, April 16.

At some point, Pope appears to approach the back of a white SUV. Immediately after, the bouncer walks up to Pope and punches him.

Pope falls immediately, hitting his head on the pavement.

He remained on the ground for nearly two minutes, until the bouncer and another person drag him to the sidewalk.

READ MORE: Man Pedals Through Philadelphia On Solo Cross-Country Bike Ride To Support Breast Cancer Research

Pope was eventually taken to the hospital and put on life support and later died from his injuries.

While it’s not known what happened inside the bar, it’s a situation that escalated to a level Mayor Jim Kenney says probably never should’ve gotten to.

“It’s their job to get them out of premise once they’re on the sidewalk or on the street. That should end their interaction,” Kenney said.

Eyewitness News learned private security companies are not required by the city to offer training. But Trotter says it’s a situation they haven’t dealt with in Washington, D.C.

“We have members of our own community protecting our community,” Trotter said. “If the ones who are protecting you are the ones who are harming you, then it’s not a safe space.”

CBS3 reached out to the owner of Tabu who says, “The bouncer involved was not an employee of Tabu and the incident in question did not occur on our property,” adding their management immediately called 911 when they learned what happened and are cooperating with police in the investigation.

Asa Khalif is a local activist. He says he’s now calling on better training to make sure Pope’s death wasn’t in vain.

“We have to do now is uplift his name and make sure that this never happens again,” Khalif said. “When you are in the Gayborhood and whether you’re an ally or part of this community, we want you to feel safe.”

There’s no word yet if Frye has been arrested or has turned himself in.

MORE NEWS: Philadelphia Police Arrest Quintez Adams In Connection To 2 Sexual Assaults, Including One On SEPTA Train

CBS3’s Howard Monroe and Joe Holden contributed to this report.

Leave a Comment